Saturday, May 3, 2008

Busy Saturday

It's 10 PM and I thought I'd write about what we've done recently. While thinking about what to put in this post, I realized we've had a pretty busy day. No wonder I'm so tired!

I took Blake to his school playground this morning to have an "unofficial" playdate with his friends. This is a new thing some parents have started and this was our first visit. Blake had a ball! The parking lot is closed off, so the kids get the entire Lower School driveway and parking lot to go crazy on scooters and bikes. Plus, they get all four playgrounds to themselves. We stayed for two hours, only to come home with a snotty nose. Yep, because it was the weekend, I forgot to give Blake his Claritin. I had been wondering if the oak pollen had lessened enough to stop the meds, so it looks like my question is answered--with a big, fat, NO!

Blake went straight to the pool with Tyler and swam and swam and swam. I looked out once to see him diving to the bottom of the deep end. It makes me a nervous wreck, but Blake is a better swimmer than I give him credit for.

I've painted Blake's bathroom and bedroom over the past week and today. He wanted a black wall, a white wall, a red ceiling, or at least black-and-white stripes on the walls of his room. When I explained that wasn't the gameplan, he said, and I quote, "It's my room, Mom, why can't I have what I want?" Excuse me, when did he become a teenager? We compromised, and he has blue ceilings, "tannish gold" (Blake's description...which is pretty good, actually) walls and a red racing stripe all the way around the room near the ceiling. The red stripe was the compromise. It may sound strange, but it really looks good. Blake seems to like it. He helped me finish painting the walls ("I'll do the low parts, Mom, so you won't have to bend down.") and he put the outlet covers back on (both with me hovering over him.) Plus, we re-arranged the furniture. We have just a little more touch-up work to do, but those rooms are done. Two more down, five more to go. How long before everyone gets here? The odds aren't good that I'll be finished.

Anyway, after all this, we went to a Tres de Mayo neighborhood get-together tonight. I'm not usually excited about these neighborhood things, but this was fun. I didn't realize how many kids we have in the neighborhood. Tyler said it looked like someone kicked over an anthill. Blake rode his scooter everywhere and helped knock down a pinata. Apparently, Blake went for the suckers...Tyler must have two handfuls in his pockets.

We're just now finishing dinner, courtesy of Pizza Hut. And, even after two doses of Benedryl, Blake is still awake and watching TV in his playroom. We're not perfect parents (as evidenced by Blake still being awake AND eating breadsticks), but today was fun!

Oh, and I just realized that I've become "Mom".

3 comments:

Connie said...

oh, I am so jealous. Sooo wished I had been there. The whole day sounds like so much fun. What a GREAT MOM (and I so mean this) you are. To take so much time with him to go back to school and play and also let him pick out his room colors and help. I was never able to do this. Too much a "control freak" when Tyler and Leigh were little. Can't wait to see you "{MOM)".

Leigh Collins said...

You mean you are just now "mom"? Mary Mac has been calling me that for a while now -makes me feel really old! How about you?

Molli Kirby said...

You know, it's not the "Mom" that gets me. It's the tone of voice! Through the two's, three's, and four's, I've felt like I've been paying for Tyler's childhood. This just makes me realize that it's time for me to start paying for mine. Whoopee!