I kept Blake home from school today. He was completely excited about it until he realized that we were going to run several errands. I always try to make going to school more fun than staying home. It seems to be working...after lunch he asked me if tomorrow was a school day. I got a huge "YEA!" after I told him yes. And this was even after getting two new Power Rangers movies. (That was the first errand.)
Anyway, our last stop was the paint store. Big surprise! First, let me start by saying that Blake is wearing new shoes that he really likes...to stomp around in. Tyler hates these shoes. He thinks they look like skater shoes, but they're not! They are Skechers and they are flat-soled, but I think they look more like tennis shoes. Because they do have flat soles, they make a really good, loud noise when stomping. Blake figured this out last night and stomps every step he takes on tile or wood floors.
So, we walk (or stomp, in Blake's case) into the paint store. It has wooden floors...whoopee! So, I'm trying to order the paint I need while Blake happily stomps around the table and chairs in the front of the store. Now, there's a rug under the table and chairs, but Blake doesn't let this stop him. Oh, no. He walks--stomps--just outside the rug. Did I mention that there was another customer at the table getting help with colors by another employee? She seemed unfazed by Blake, though. After several attempts to get Blake to stop, I apologized (or maybe I apologized first and often!), they both said they have teenagers. Figuring that they had already lived thru this several times over, I gave up.
The only time Blake quit stomping was to pick out "color check cards", or the small credit-card sized color swatches, of his favorite colors. He picked out eight. So much for "favorite". He planned to put these in his wallet once he got home. Now I'm realizing that I pull my check card out way too much in his presence. Need to watch that!
I think the paint store people really like Blake, though. Even after all the stomping and picking out color cards, they gave me the painter's discount. YEA! Looks like I've bought enough paint there to qualify as a painter. Which I am, in my own house anyway.
Once we finally got home, Blake wanted to play a "color card game" that he made up. Or, I should say, made up as we played. This is the basic premise:
- We each picked out 3 color cards and placed them face-up in front of us. (That left 2 in the middle. I never did figure out what those were for.)
- Then Blake asked me for a color. If I had it, then I had to pass it to him. Of course, I had it. He was looking at my cards!
- My turn.
- His turn.
- My turn. By this point, I've realized that this game has no end.
- His turn.
- My turn. I asked for a color that he didn't have. Look of pure confusion on Blake's face. Then look of strategic planning.
- His turn.
- My turn. Same strategy on my part.
- His turn. Blake says he's changing the rules. (Didn't know we had rules!) If he gets all the cards, he wins.
- My turn. Same strategy again.
- His turn. He wins. I WIN!
Now, we're watching one of the new Power Rangers movie and he's working on his "moves". Luckily for me, the shoes are off! Aahh, the peace and quiet.

2 comments:
Hate to tell you (I'm sure you already know) that he gets the part of making up the rules as he goes along honestly! His dad was always doing the same to me! HATED PLAYING GAMES WITH HIM!
Loved reading your adventures yesterday. You and Leigh both are so clever with your writing. I felt like I was there with you, especially since I have been to that paint store and met the people there. I am sure they love Blake. This blogging is even better than talking on the phone. What room are you going to work on now?
Post a Comment