Thursday, May 22, 2008

Practice Swim Meet

The East Lake Woodlands Eels had our practice swim meet yesterday. It was a madhouse! The coaches tried their best to get us "newbies" ready for it...but it didn't work for me at all. As usual, Blake was unfazed and thought it was lots of fun.

As parents, we have to volunteer for four meets. They said "shepherding" was the easiest job. Yeah, right. I'm such a sucker! The shepherds' only job is to get their group from the waiting area to the starting blocks for the heats and back again. Anyway, I helped to shepherd the 6 & Under Boys group. There were three of us moms. There are 24 boys. All 6 and under. Anybody care to guess how that went? Next, anybody care to guess how many beers I drank after it was over?


We have a 25-meter pool. The 6 & Under group swims one length. Last night, they only swam the freestyle (or reach-and-pulls) stroke. Blake dove in (yes, a real head-first dive) and actually swam the length of the pool. I am so proud! He did have some help from one of the coaches; she swam beside him the whole way and helped him a lot near the end. That made me feel better about the whole thing. I was really worried about him being able to make it the whole way. He kept going, didn't ever look like he was going to quit, and made it to the end. Yea!

Blake got his first swim ribbon tonight at practice with his time for yesterday's practice meet. His time was 1:17:40. He came in 23rd place. He didn't care...he was just excited to have a ribbon. And, for him, the real race is against himself to get faster every meet. Of course, the boys who have been doing this for three years (since they were 3!) all had the fastest times. That should be Blake in a couple of years.










Enjoy the pictures!

5 comments:

Melanie said...

I am loving keeping up with you guys! It is my nightly entertainment. Maybe I should get out more! You tell Blake I am very proud of his first ribbon. I am sure there are many more to come!

Connie said...

I can't believe he actually participated in the race. I still remember when he use to say "I'm shy to those people". He is growing up. Your pictures are so good. I bet Tyler is jealous, you may become a photographer too. Just few more days till we see you guys.

Pop said...

Way to go Blake! We're so proud of you. Keep practicing and you will be the best. Molli...great pictures! Thanks for posting so we can stay up to date. It's not as good as being there, but better than nothing. Love you guys and see you NEXT Friday! Can't wait.

Leigh Collins said...

Way to go My Buddy! I can't believe he actually dove head first and then finished the whole race! Awesome! Can't wait to see you next week!

Molli Kirby said...

For the record, the two bottom pictures (the better ones!) were taken by Tyler. So, no, Tyler is not jealous and I'm in no way becoming a photographer, too. Too funny! Glad you guys thought I was capable of taking them.