Monday, August 10, 2009

Golf Camp

Last week, Blake had his very first "official" (meaning "not from Daddy") set of golf lessons. He participated in a camp our neighborhood golf course was offering. Most of the other little boys at the camp are going into the 1st grade at Blake's new school, so I thought this would be a great way for him to make some new friends before school starts. Hope I was right!

This was definitely an eye-opening experience for Blake. Here are a few of the things he learned: you really need a glove for your left hand to keep from getting blisters; you should NEVER, EVER stand too close to someone swinging a club, even if they "stole your spot"; you should NEVER, EVER fetch a ball just in front of you on the driving range; red Gatorade mixed with blue Gatorade makes purple Gatorade, and it tastes really good; cheese pizza is really good, even though there is "red sauce" on it; and that you CAN bite ice cream sandwiches, and boy, are they good, too.


Here are a few things I learned from golf camp: if men are in charge, they will not tell you that your son got hit in the head with a golf club (or ball, depending on who's telling the story) if it didn't require stitches; if men are in charge, they will not offer a new, clean, hot dog if you dropped yours on the floor...due to the "3-second rule"; if men are in charge, they will tell your child that he can drive the golf cart on the last day...and not consider that Mama has to be the one to oversee it, while making sure that Junior doesn't run over anyone or drive the cart into an alligator-filled pond; and finally, if men are in charge, the kids will ALWAYS behave for them, leaving them to wonder aloud on the last day, "They were fine all week..." once the whining, begging, and crying starts when all the moms showed up for the last day on the course.

For that last day, all the moms were invited to watch the boys play 3 holes on the course to show off what they learned. Enjoy the pictures and video!

The bottom line is that Blake met some new kids, I met some new moms, and he got to be outside doing something fun. I call that a success!


1 comment:

Connie said...

Too cute. Molli I think you have a "gift for writing" I felt like I was there. It was great. The pictures were so good. Miss you guys.