Apparently I'm not!
Blake came home with his "Weekly Reader" worksheet today. This one had a math review sheet with it, so of course I checked how he did. Now, let me preface this by saying that I was reading his worksheet in the spare 3 minutes I had between cooking dinner for Blake and Tyler, getting Blake into and out of the shower, and running out the door to get to my Junior League meeting. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!
Anyway, one sheet had four rows of different colored apples (red, green, yellow, etc.). The second sheet (the math review portion) had a series of questions concerning the first sheet. Question #1: How many green apples are there? His answer: 3. Yea! He got this one right. And he wrote his 3 facing the correct way. I'm so proud! Question #2: How many red apples are there? His answer: 6. Dang! He missed this one, but he wrote his 6 facing the correct way. Question #3, #4, and #5 are all math questions: How many red and green apples are there altogether? How many yellow and green apples are there altogether? How many more yellow apples are there than green? He got all of these right, considering his incorrect answer for #2. I'm happy with this.
Fast forward to much later tonight. I finally got home from my meeting and had a chance to catch up with Tyler. We talked about Blake and his day and I mentioned his "Weekly Reader" math work. I think I said, "I'm so excited that they're working on math already, but he got the second question wrong." Tyler informed me that he didn't. What?!? I looked at the sheet again...there are only 4 red apples right there on the first line. Oh, wait...there are two more red apples on the bottom row. Remember I said red, yellow, green, ETC? It was the ETC that got me. Blake was absolutely right and I was completely wrong. You'd think that an engineer (who made an A in differential equations, I might add) could handle the red apple math problem. But, you'd be wrong, too! Ha!
Oh, well. I might as well get used to it. Maybe I should start saying I don't know anything about "that new math". That seemed to work for my parents!
Monday, September 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Too Funny! You may just have one that can really outsmart you and Tyler! You know, though, I would have gotten that wrong too - my math skills have never been up-to-par!
Oh, I so can appreciate. Tyler and Leigh passed me probably before Blake's age in math. Thank goodness Hal was good in math. I was okay with the other subjects at least thru elementary school, ha! Miss you guys so much. Ready to come back.
Post a Comment