Sunday, July 13, 2008

Wise words

Have you ever heard someone say something that just sticks with you...that just makes you sit up and start paying attention? Blake did that to me last night.

We got home from our "date night" to find Blake in the bed, almost asleep. Of course, he asked me to lay down with him. We snuggled a little bit and he fell asleep, I thought. At that point, I started trying to get out of his grasp...and you know how that goes. He opened his eyes and stared at me. I stared back at him, trying to decide if he was awake or asleep. That's when he said, "Mommy, if you're going to be here, act like you're here."

Talk about a wake up call. He only meant that he wanted me to still snuggle and hold his hand, I think. However, there have been several other times that Blake has said something so...wise, profound, intuitive (??)...that it sometimes freaks Tyler and me out. This sentence did that for me. He had spent the day trying to get in my lap, on top of my head, under my feet, between my legs when I walked, you name it, and I spent the day trying to have some personal space. Did I say "wake up call" already? That's what these words were.

I must have thought about these words all night. I woke up in a better mood (but with a sore back, thanks to Blake making his way to my side of the bed last night). And Blake's been in my lap a lot this morning. Maybe I'll have "personal space" when he's seventeen.

1 comment:

Connie said...

That was so profound, but not surprised because it was from Blake. Trust me, you will have too many years down the road that you wish he was still wanting to sit in your lap. Miss you guys.